12 years ago, a group of fraternity brothers started a fantasy football league. A few of the names have changed over the years, but the principle of good friends, football and the right to talk smack has continued to this day.
Last Saturday we held our annual draft. Keeping the draft as an event has always been one of the focal points of the league. It gives the guys a chance to depart their everyday lives, albeit for a day. It gives all a chance to catch up with the goings-on in each other’s lives, face to face and not in a chat box on a computer screen.
This write up is a review of the draft. Some of the players will undoubtedly change by the time the opening kick-off takes place. Rosters will change routinely as the year goes on, as everyone tries to put their team in the best possible chance at achieving the ultimate bragging rights, a Championship.
We run a 12 team, non-PPR (points per reception) league, with two starting QB’s, 3 WR’s, 2 RB’s, 1 TE, 2 Flex spots (WR/RB) & (WR/TE), 1 Kicker and 1 Team Defense (Special Teams are not included in D stats), and 4 bench roster spots.
Skavemaster (since changed to LaGarettesblountwrap)
QB’s Josh Freeman, Tony Romo, Tarvaris Jackson
WR’s Brandon Marshall, Austin Collie, Anquan Boldin, Johnny Knox, Michael Crabtree, Mike Thomas
RB’s Jamal Charles, Legarrette Blount, Chris Johnson, Darren Sproles,
TE’s Kellen Winslow
K Josh Brown
QB’s Michael Vick, Kevin Kolb, John Beck
WR’s Dwayne Bowe, Roddy White, Reggie Wayne, Mario Manningham, Kenny Britt
RB’s Jahvid Best, Danny Woodhead, Michael Bush, Thomas Jones
TE’s Jermichael Finley, Todd Heap
K Matt Bryant
QB’s Mark Sanchez, Sam Bradford, Cam Newton
WR’s Dez Bryant, Jordan Shipley, Andre Johnson, Brian Hartline, Plaxico Burress, Randy Moss
RB’s Matt Forte, Joseph Addai, Ladainian Tomlinson
TE’s Rob Gronkowski
K David Akers
QB’s Ben Roethlisberger, Matt Hasselbeck
WR’s Santonio Holmes, Jeremy Maclin, Sidney Rice, Jordy Nelson, Hines Ward
RB’s LeSean McCoy, Tim Hightower, Michael Turner, Cedric Benson, Mark Ingram, Ronnie Brown
TE’s Dallas Clark
K Nate Kaeding
D San Diego
Manning VS. Food
QB’s Eli Manning, Peyton Manning, Drew Brees
WR’s Santana Moss, Pierre Garcon, Danny Amendola, Mike Wallace, Derrick Mason
RB’s Ahmad Bradshaw, Fred Jackson
TE’s Vernon Davis
3 Empty Roster Spots
QB’s Tom Brady, Donovan McNabb
WR’s DeSean Jackson, Lance Moore, Deion Branch, Mike Williams(SEA), Steve Smith(CAR), Terrell Owens
RB’s BenJarvus Green-Ellis, Frank Gore, Jonathan Stewart, Ricky Williams
TE’s Jason Witten, Antonio Gates
K Stephen Gostkowski
QB’s Ryan Fitzpatrick, Matt Cassel, Andy Dalton, Luke McCown
WR’s Wes Welker, Brandon Lloyd, Lee Evans, Roscoe Parrish, Donald Driver, Braylon Edwards
RB’s Adrian Peterson, Steven Jackson, Jerome Harrison
TE’s Marcedes Lewis
K Dan Carpenter
QB’s Kyle Orton, Aaron Rodgers
WR’s Larry Fitzgerald, Malcolm Floyd, Davone Bess
RB’s Peyton Hillis, Ray Rice, Knowshon Moreno, Montario Hardesty, Roy Helu, Willis McGahee
TE’s Jared Cook, Brandon Pettigrew
K Billy Cundiff
QB’s Jay Cutler, David Garrard, Matt Schaub, Jason Campbell
WR’s Vincent Jackson, Percy Harvin, Chad Ochocinco, Marques Colston
RB’s Felix Jones, Rashard Mendenhall, Ryan Matthews, Reggie Bush, Daniel Thomas
TE’s Dustin Keller
K Sebastian Janikowski
D New England
QB’s Matt Ryan, Alex Smith, Chad Henne
WR’s Calvin Johnson, Greg Jennings, Robert Meachem, Steve Smith(PHI), Emmanuel Sanders
RB’s Darren McFadden, Shonn Greene, Beanie Wells, Marshawn Lynch, James Starks
TE’s Aaron Hernandez, Tony Gonzalez
D NY Giants
7 QB’s DEEP
QB’s Phillip Rivers, Joe Flacco, Colt McCoy
WR’s Hakeem Nicks, Mike Sims-Walker, Kevin Walter, Julio Jones, Jacoby Ford
RB’s Ryan Grant, DeAngelo Williams, Brandon Jacobs, C.J. Spiller, Mike Tolbert
TE’s Visanthe Shiancoe
IR Mikel LeShoure
K Neil Rackers
D Green Bay
Blood & Thunder
QB’s Matthew Stafford, Rex Grossman, Kerry Collins
WR’s Miles Austin, Mike Williams(TB), Stevie Johnson, Nate Burleson, AJ Green, Roy Williams
RB’s Arian Foster, Maurice Jones-Drew, Pierre Thomas, Ben Tate
TE’s Jimmy Graham
K Mason Crosby
D San Francisco
Just for a little fun I always do a Post-Draft, Preseason rankings, so this year won’t be any difference.
1. Legarrettesblountwrap- A strong initial lineup, hard to argue with what’s been put together so far. Yet, just bear in mind, something always goes wrong for this team. It’s almost as if Karma or some other force has caught up with him. That or he’s been cursed. But for this moment, bask in the glory of your odds-on-favorite.
2. 6 Wide- With Vick, Bowe, White, Wayne and Finley tough to make a case against. However, this teams downfall could be at the RB spot, a crew led by Best and Woodhead might need some help. Although, to quote the manager, “Running Backs are overrated!”
3. IRON PIGS- Loaded backfield, 2 WR studs and a potential QB stud in Schaub. Well rounded team.
4. BLOOD & THUNDER- While lacking severely in the QB position, an overall well-rounded talent pool. 2 Stud RB’s, 2 Stud Wr’s and another potential stud in Stevie Johnson, a Stud TE and a potential Stud at QB in Matt Stafford. Only problem I see is depth. This team, if healthy, will vie for playoff positioning, but one or two injuries it could be vying for last place.
5. Deadliest Catch- Pains me to rank this team so high, seeing they’ve been a nemesis over the years for me. Yet, while appearing shallow at WR (with only Maclin and Holmes) and QB (with Big Ben), the backfield is pretty dominant. McCoy and Turner are studs, Benson is going to get an overflow of carries in that situation over in Cinci and I really like what I’m seeing out of Tim Hightower.
6. Repeal Obama- Really struggled with # 5 and #6. I love Jennings and Megatron at WR, and really like the potential at RB here (with RunDMC, Greene, Bean and Lynch). I’m probably undervaluing Matt Ryan, so a case for # 5 can be argued.
7. F&^% Philly- This isn’t your typical team, it’s value isn’t found in star powered names. I put them at #7 because of potential. I can see Bryant and Burress and now with Peyton M. down Addai producing much more than expected prior. I love Bradford and A.J. and Forte could produced #1 numbers as well
8. Mission Repeat- 4 Studs and some really nice TE’s place them just a notch above the team at #9
9. 7 QB’s Deep- Not going to find much better at QB than Rivers and Flacco. Nicks is top 7 at WR. MSW has serious potential with Bradford, and a RB committee that one or 2 of which will produce very well.
10. Cinderella Story- This is a team that I really like, however I just don’t like the situations a lot of his players are in. Brady, D-Jax, Gore and Gates will get it done. But Moore, Branch, Law Firm are all in crowded situations. Stewart earned the starting job but Carolina resigned D-Will, who was given the job by new coach Rivera and stuck with a Rookie QB. This team has top 5 potential if all cylinders click.
11. Clean Slate- Another potential, potential, potential situation. Fitzpatrick can be very good, but not sure he can carry the Qb’s, Cassel is fine, but in a run first scheme. Will Lloyd return to last years #’s? Signs point to yes, but that’s the only time in his career he’s ever produced. Welker’s a ppr guy, which we don’t play, and Evans may finally be used right, but we’ll have to see. AP & S-Jax is a nice 1-2 punch in the backfield, and TE value drops with lack of signal caller. If all things click, playoffs a possibility still.
12. Manning VS Food- Team was filling out nicely but extenuating circumstances came crashing down and left his team hollow. But there are still some guys out there, and on any given week…