Sunday, July 29, 2012

While My Guitar Gently Weeps (For Creative Tuesdays)



This week over at Creative Tuesdays, the theme is BEATLE SONG.  I love music, and always have thought if it in so many ways beyond what the sound alone suggests.  When I hear a nice up-beat or grinding tempo, I often think of how the video for this song would go.  Quite frankly, almost every song that is played, I try to visualize a scenario as to how this particular song, and in which situations, it would make a great addition to any films soundtrack.  I like to listen to slower and/or depressing songs when I'm sad or low, upbeat songs when I'm in a good mood.  I like to think music can act as therapy to some degree, and finally, I always try to read into the symbolism of the songwriter's words.  Sometimes this last bit is tough to do, but even in songs created from the most simple of lyrics, I think it's possible to finding that subtext.  Anyhow, there are so many neat possibilities this exercise can have.

The theme here is quite a creative one.  I've used songs in my poetry many times, either as allusions or as the basis for interpretation, yet never really considering how nicely the idea would translate to creating visual art as well.

With so many songs to choose from here, it was tough to settle on one. I thought about a white painted canvass with 9's scattered all over the painting, as an interpretation for Revolution #9.  I thought about doing something with Helter Skelter, but couldn't quite get the repetitive motion of going up and down ladder/slide.  There were other ideas that came to me here as well, so I'm looking forward to seeing what songs others have chose to use and what interpretations are on display.

Finally I went with While My Guitar Gently Weeps, which was never my favorite Beatles song, but up there in the top 10, and the visual idea just popped in my head and I feel really worked well in the style I have a pretty good command of right now.

For those of you new to Creative Tuesdays, stop on over, check out all the wonderful art that is linked up and read through the guidelines, as we do this pretty much every week, so perhaps you can share your own take on the CT prompts in future weeks.

9 comments:

  1. sounds like you enjoyed this theme Fred, love your abstract for this song, well done!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very cool, Fred. I had actually forgotten about this Beatles song! Haven't heard it in years! Love how you painted the guitar with the broken hearts and musical notes and symbols...perfect for this song!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, Fred, I'm really glad you did a more abstract one for this go round and was rather hoping you;d choose one of those more dreamy songs, as you indeed did! Personally, this is likely in my top 5 Beatles Songs even though normally I don't really like electric wailing guitar! Love Harrison's voice though. I love how in turn you've made the imagery lilting and melting here, even drawn/stretched out too in places.Works well.

    Really enjoyed your write-up as well. Thanks for doing that do. Great job! :) TY!

    ReplyDelete
  4. There is so much to LIKE here. I def see the guitar here and the colors are electric. The broken hearts are perfect to convey this song.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Fred you have created a masterpiece the Beatles would be proud to use as a poster.

    When I enlarge it, I get pulled into so many colors themes, textures, ideas, STOP!!! I think I even hear the music!!

    Gread job Fred...you are a real fun addition to this meme.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wonderful choice and interpretation!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm with you. I like to try and visualize what music might look like. It was fun to read about what some of your ideas were, but I'm glad you settled on this one. Great execution and I adore the saturation of colors you used!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Fabulous interpretation and I agree with Wanda that this would make a super poster for this song. Well done.

    ReplyDelete
  9. great song, can't go wrong with this Harrison classic - the first time I heard it I was transfixed. I kind of wish you'd done Revolution 9 though :D that song gets a bad rap but I love it - esp doing sthg mundane & boring like going to the supermarket & having it on my iPod while looking at laundry soap or canned tomatoes or some BS -- but I absolutely love what you did here with this! the whole piece is mellifluous and sort of liquid - as in really weeping. Awesome!

    ReplyDelete